Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Scottish Recipes - Haggis Soup

mmmmmmmm

Haggis Soup



Haggis Soup ( I suppose it's really haggis, neeps and tatties soup)

Before I begin with how to make this amazingly creamy and delicious soup I have to tell you a little story

My lovely neighbour Cheryl (who is American, like all my neighbours) held a Soup sampling Party for NYE and invited her friends including us, her Scottish neighbours. So you know we had to make Haggis Soup, right? I teased Cheryl a little asking her via Facebook if she was scared that I was bringing Haggis Soup, this is how the conversation went

Me : I am making Haggis Soup for the NYE Soup Sampling Party Cheryl are you scared??? Lol
  • Janet : haggis soup angela yum yum wish i was there xxxx
    December 31, 2012 
  • Alison : You need to share your recipe....burns night no too far away! Xxx
    December 31, 2012 
  • Heather : Love haggis ange, but haggis soup ? Will give that a miss babes xx happy new year xxx
    December 31, 2012 
  • CherylOk- you're scaring the other Scots now. Lol. Seriously?! It doesn't really exist... Right???
    December 31, 2012 
  • MeIts the best thing I have ever made, I kid you not ! My mum got me the recipe she used to make it where she works, its amazing ! Alison I am gonna blog about it in plenty time for Burns night, I am makng this again for then, Alison can you get Haggis, if not get your mum to put a couple of tins her suitcase she might be lucky enough to not get arrested, lol
    December 31, 2012 
  • MeCheryl you will see it with your own eyes tonight, lol
    December 31, 2012 at 3:12pm · 
  • CherylAlrighty then... You know I am up for trying new foods.
    December 31, 2012 
  • MeOMG, really? I am honestly not expecting anyone to try it, If no-one tries it is ok, but honestly its pretty awesome 
    December 31, 2012  
  • Cheryl Hey- I was the first to try it and it was awesome
    December 31, 2012 


Me, Cheryl and the Haggis soup


So I was more than prepared to bring my whole pot of Soup back home with no-one trying it, I am not easily offended by things like that and I totally get that not everyone can handle new things, especially new things like Haggis which gets such a bad rap in America, why is that? I think maybe us Scots have teased the whole world about our lovable Haggis, to the point that everyone is really scared of it... honestly people of the world, its not that scary

So needless to say the soup was finished, yes the whole soup pot was finished. Most people tried it and went home with bragging rights to having tried Haggis, most liked it from what they said....OK own up neighbours was it all a rouse? was it poured down the toilet? trickled in the plants ??

So one word, this soup is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Okay, enough yapping, lets make it...


To make a bowl of delicious Haggis Soup

You will need
Haggis, neeps and tatties

1 large potato (or two small ones)
1 Turnip
1 large onion
Knob of Butter
1 tin of Haggis
32floz/950ml Chicken Stock
150ml Fresh whipping/pouring cream
salt and ground pepper


  • Chop and dice Potato, Turnip and Onion
Veg

  • Put onion into a large pot with the butter, fry until onions are soft and transparent
Onions and Butter

  • Add Chicken Stock to the pot
Add stock

  • Now add in the potato and turnip pieces and the contents of the Haggis can
 Soup

  • Add salt and pepper (plenty of it don't be shy)

  • Bring to boil then turn down to a rolling simmer for 30-40 minutes (stirring occasionally) until veg softens
Soup

  • Pour into a blender and blend until smooth
Soup

  • Pour back into the pot and add cream, stirring it in well
add cream

  • Enjoy, preferably with oat cakes on the side
Haggis Soup
Haggis Soup

This will make a great addition to your Burns Night menu

So credit where credits due, it was my Mum who gave me this recipe

ME - Haggis soup?

MUM - yes its delicious

ME - really?

MUM - Do you like Haggis, turnip and potatoes?

ME - Yes

MUM - Then you will LOVE it

and well, Mum's are always right...it is delicious

Thanks mum for yet again another great recipe


Angela

Scottish word of the day - Neeps - Turnips
(You cant have Haggis without Neeps)




1 comment:

  1. Oh I haven't had that in forever. Great to see it here, so I can make it soon. Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - Hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...