Thursday, November 8, 2012

Scottish recipes - Treacle Scones

Scottish Treacle Scone


This recipe is a nice change from the regular scones I made earlier in the year see them here

It uses Treacle to give them a more malty, autumn like flavour

Treacle is a childhood favourite of mine, I used to eat it on bread. I really can't do that now, I am just not that used to the taste like I was when I was a kid

It is fine if added to something, like these Scones, but I can't eat it in the raw anymore

My Mum used to make Treacle Toffee, I really must look out her recipe and make that soon

So, these warm scones are wafting through my home as I am typing up this post, it is probably my favourite aroma..... home baking

If you would like to make them too

Here is the recipe I used

You will need

8oz/225g Self Raising flour
2oz/50g Butter or margarine
1oz/25g Fine Sugar
2 Tbsp Treacle (or Molasses)
Half tsp Cinnamon
Quarter pint/150ml of Milk
Pinch of salt
Ingredients


  • Set oven to 220C/425F. Grease a Baking tray or cookie sheet

  • Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl
Flour

  • Add butter and rub in, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs 
add butter

resembles Breadcrumbs

  • Add the sugar, cinnamon and treacle
Treacle


  • Add the milk a little at a time and mix until a soft, elastic dough is formed
Elastic dough

  • On a floured surface, knead the dough and roll out 
Dough

  • Cut out rounds about 2.5 inch cutter
Rounds cut

  • Place on greased tray and brush top with milk
On cookie sheet
brush with milk

  • Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown

  • Place on wire rack to cool

  • Enjoy with a butter, or some strawberry preserve and cream
Scottish Treacle Scone

I hope you love these Treacle Scones as much as we do.

Angela

hhappyhourprojects ; thegrantlife ; littlebeckyhomecky ; iamaddictedtorecipes ; cheeriosandlattes ; healthymommyhealthybaby ; ishouldbemoppingthefloor ; couponingncooking  ; homestoriesatoz ; craft-o-maniac ; craftytexasgirls  ; thesoutherninstitute ; highheelsandgrills ; ladybehindthecurtain ; sugarbeecrafts ; claimingourspace ; reasonstoskipthehousework ; hungrylittlegirl ; gingersnapcrafts ; whitelightsonwednesday ; southernlovely


12 comments:

  1. I love your blog, newest follower on gfc
    www.CallMePMc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! These scones look great and different - I like it
    Would like to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum that looks amazing!
    -Melanie

    P.S. I’m doing a $50 Shabby Apple giveaway on my blog. You should check it out here: http://meandmr.com/post/35113285949/shabby-apple-50-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing! What a fun and unique recipe.

    Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try this! Our principal is Scottish and we also live in TX... made me laugh when I saw your name and photo! :) We always give our principal a hard time about being Scottish so maybe we should surprise him with something sweet! ;) Thanks for sharing this on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes this week! We love having you join us! Have a great week!
    Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Scottish expat living and loving the life in Texas, say Hi to your Principle (or Head Master as we say in Scotland) tee hee

      Delete
  6. These look REALLY good! My next door neighbors are from Scotland - I'll have to ask them about treacle!

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! more Scottish people, say Hi to your neighbor from me :)

      Delete
  7. This looks so good and I love all of your Scottish recipes! I'm so glad to be following you, you've got a great blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum,
    I love molasses and these scones look amazing! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones are perfect! Thanks for sharing at Sweet Saturday last week, and sorry I took so long to thank you! I had a crazy week! This weekend's Sweet Saturday is now up and running, so I hope to see you there ;) http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-saturday-28-turkey-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look amazingly delicious!
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there again next week :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...