Thursday, September 6, 2012

Scottish Recipes - Fish Pie


Fish Pie

Today we are having Fish Pie


Hello there? You still with me? I am back !

Surprise......!!!!

Its been a while

I never thought I would leave my Blog for a month like I just have but, well, life kinda takes over sometimes, doesn't it ?

What have I been up to ? You ask

Well for starters, I had my great friend and her family come and stay with us here in Texas all the way from New Zealand. I literally haven't seen her for 7 whole years

We keep in touch through all the usual resources like Facebook, Skype (new to me), emails and text message, but I haven't hugged my pal for 7 years. So reason enough to abandon my Blog for a bit and spend an amazing 2 weeks getting to know her sweet little 2 year old and reconnect again with her

Here are a few pics of our fun together...

Us Downtown Houston

Us with my Scottish and USA flags

Bubbles time

Dinner out in Houston

Bubbles and Pool time

Next, my son Sir Scoffs-A-Lot started Kindergarten last week and it has been an emotional roller coaster of pride and upset (for me not for him, he loves it), and as he flies off in the big yellow bus to school each morning I am so proud of how well he is handling such a scary situation, he is my little soldier
First day at Kindergarten

So back to the Fish Pie

I never actually made this delicious dish

My New Zealand chum did, by the way she is Scottish like me but just happens to live in New Zealand

The recipe we used is a Jamie Oliver recipe, see here

It is unlike any Fish Pie I have ever made, there is no white sauce, and no poaching the fish and it tastes so fresh and light

We have a joke in our house...  Mr Tartan Tastes doesn't like Fish Pie.  So if I want to mess with him when he calls and asks whats for dinner, I say "Fish Pie", its like an in-joke between us...

But well, that joke is no longer funny as the Fish Pie hating hubby that he is, is no more, as even he loved this version

My friend change the recipe up very slightly but for the most part it is almost the same

You will need

For the topping
Sea salt and Ground pepper
1kg/ 2.2lbs Potatoes
Potatoes

For Pie
1 Medium Carrot
2 Celery Sticks
150g/5oz Cheddar cheese
1 lemon
half a fresh red chili ( we used half a jalapeno)
4 springs of fresh parsley
300g/10oz Salmon Fillets, Skin removed
300g/10oz White Fish preferably haddock (we used Cod)
125g/4oz Prawns/Shrimp
Olive Oil
Optional extras
Handful of Spinach
2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
Salmon and Cod


  • Preheat oven to 200C/400F

  • Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks. Add to boiling water and cook for around 12 minutes until soft

  • In a large baking dish, grate carrot, celery, and cheddar on a coarse grater setting into the dish
Grated veggies

  • Using the fine side of the grater or a zester, zest the lemon peel and add to dish, keep lemon to the side

  • Finely chop the jalapeno or chili and the parsley leaves and stalks and add to the dish
Grated veggies

  • Cut the salmon, and white fish into bite size chunks and add to tray, next add the prawns/shrimp
Seafood going in

  • Squeeze the juice from the lemon making sure no pips fall in, then drizzle the Olive oil over, and add a pinch of salt and pepper

  • If you want to add tomatoes or spinach do it here ( we didn't this time)

  • Mix all ingredients together well

  • Drain the potatoes. Then keeping them in the pot, add a good amount of olive oil (about 3 hearty tablespoons) and a pinch of salt and pepper

  • Mash well until nice and smooth, then spoon and spread evenly over fish and vegetable mixture, fluff with a fork
Mashed Potatoes
Fish pie

  • Bake in oven for around 40 minutes or until cooked through and crispy and golden on top
Fish pie

  • Serve with a nice green salad and some crusty bread

  • Enjoy
Fish pie

I hope you give this fresh new take on fish pie a try

I am so glad my friend made this for dinner one night, it will become one of those 'go to' meals for us now

Here she is in action in my kitchen

Alison cooking


No more Fish pie jokes in our house....

Thanks Alison and Thanks Jamie Oliver

This Fish Pie is awesome

Angela


Linking to fivelittlechefs ; livelaughrowe ; somethingswanky ; momnivores-dilemma ; whatscookinglove ; michellestastycreations ; Show your stuff/Juliejewels ; caroleschatter ; serenitynow ; happyhourprojects ; notyourordinaryrecipes ; simplelivingdianebalch ; thegrantlife ; littlebeckyhomecky
reasonstoskipthehousework ; classyclutter ; keepingitsimplecrafts ; healthymommyhealthybaby ; thesoutherninstitute ; craft-o-maniac ; couponingncooking ; momstestkitchen ; homestoriesatoz


13 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, Angela. Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought she was your sister... how wonderful to have an old friend visit for so long. The pie looks great I like the healthy use of fish different from the typical meat pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do look alike, people asked us all the time on this visit if we were Sisters, lol

      Delete
  3. Yummy! So many delicious looking sea delights in this recipe, it must be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so light and fresh, the lemon is a great flavor in there too

      Delete
  4. Looks great Angela. The two of you really do look so much alike! Thanks for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we have been friends for a long time , even now in different countries we live parallel lives sometimes too, lol

      Delete
  5. Angela,
    This looks scrumptious! So glad you got to re-connect with your friend. You two look like sisters. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had fish pie, but this looks incredible! Thank you for sharing at Meatless Monday. Nice pics of you and your friend too btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fish Pie...oh how fun. I will pin this. Thanks, Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of Fish Pie before this. It looks great! Pinning! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...