Friday, July 6, 2012

Scottish Recipes - Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll


Do you know, that it's definitely thought that Swiss roll was invented in Britain and not in Switzerland, I know, too funny, I wonder why its not called British Roll, tee hee

My mum would make us Swiss Roll when my wee Sis and I were kids, and it has such 70s/80s undertones to me, yes I am giving away my age, people

It is served sliced or served in a bowl with warm custard (another great British/Scottish recipe)

I really had to make this, and share, as its so easy. Swiss Roll has basic ingredients that everyone has just hanging around and its delicious to boot

A version of Swiss Roll is sometimes served in Chinese restaurants here in USA

Sometimes a Swiss Roll can be cream filled or chocolate sponge

But for this one I am making my personal favourite, the Jam filled Sponge

Swiss Roll



Makes one Swiss Roll


You will need


3 Eggs
75g/3oz Fine Sugar
75g/3oz Plain or All-Purpose Flour
4 tbsp Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
Sugar for dredging
Ingredients



  • Set oven to 220C/425F

  • Line a 9 x 12 in baking tray with parchment paper larger than the tray to make edges and corners, and grease the paper with butter or margarine
Parchment paper

  • Add eggs and sugar to a large bowl
eggs and sugar

  • Whisk with electric hand mixer until mixture is pale yellow and thick
eggs and sugar mixture

  • Sieve the flour over the egg and sugar mixture
Sieve the flour

  • Carefully fold the flour in using a metal spoon
Fold the flour

  • Pour mixture into the lined baking tray, spreading evenly
pouring out mixture
mixture spread

  • Bake for 7 minutes until golden and raised slightly

  • Meanwhile, place a clean tea towel on a work surface and cover with parchment paper, then dredge with sugar
tea towel, paper and sugar

  • Ease the cooked Swiss roll onto the prepared sugar surface
rough Swiss Roll

  • Trim the edges to make a neat rectangle
trimmed Swiss Roll

  • Spread with jam
Jammy covered Swiss Roll

  • Then using the towel as a guide, roll the sponge tightly and evenly
Swiss Roll

  • Sprinkle with more sugar and leave on a rack to cool
Swiss Roll cooling

  • Once cool, cut into slices
Swiss Roll

  • Enjoy

Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll was a hit in this house, it was gone in sixty seconds, with just crumbs left

oh well, it gives me another excuse to make more


Angela


Linking at simple living ; happy go lucky ; not your ordinary recipes ; happy hour projects ; serenitynow ; michelles tasty creations ; whats cooking love ; julie jewels ; live laugh rowe ; five little chefs ; lady behind the curtain ; white lights on wednesday ; i am addicted to recipes ; classy clutter ; crafts keep me sane ; couponingncooking ; polly want a crafter ; craft-o-maniac.com ; i gotta try that

9 comments:

  1. Gosh this takes me back - we used to do chocolate logs the same way.

    I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in a retro steak dish. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping over Carole, this Swiss Roll is indeed a blast from the past :)

    Must pop back and look at your steak dish, im all about retro, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've enlighten me Swiss Rolls are now part of my "no they not really from there" along with French Fries, and Frankfurters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Those look fantastic! I am so very happy your are joining in the #GYCO Cooking Challenge!! Can't wait to see what you create!
    -jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am both excited and nervous, lol

      Delete
  5. Yum, that looks simple and delicious. Will be trying this with my kids, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Angela, you're kids will love it, my son, who is 5, loved Swiss Roll

      Delete
  6. Angela,
    This looks amazing! Super yummy I'm sure. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...