Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Scottish Recipes - Chocolate Tiffin

Chocolate Tiffin is one of those yummy tray bake dishes

Chocolate Tiffin

and I love it, as its easy peasy to make

Chocolate Tiffin goes by many other names

Biscuit Cake
Chocolate Fridge Cake
No Bake Chocolate Cake

and they were called Traffic Lights in my house growing up.  My mum used to make these for me when I was small, she would cut them into fingers and put a red, yellow and green jelly tot on each rectangle to make traffic lights, I loved them

This sweet treat was something found in bake sales across Scotland and is a favourite treat made with some of my favourite British items, Cadburys Drinking Chocolate, Lyle's Golden Syrup and Digestive Biscuits, how can this not be good?

Cadbury Drinking chocolate and Lyle's Golden Syrup


This recipe was given to me years ago by Susan who I worked with in Woodrow's, Thanks Susan

News flash, every British expat living in the USA needs to know this.... Wal-mart are selling Digestive biscuits in their cookie isle. When I saw them I yelled out "you are kidding me" and started flinging them in my shopping trolley like the crazed expat that I am, they also have chocolate digestives. No way you say, Yes way! Oh and no inflated prices too.....yeah!!!

Digestive biscuits and Chocolate Digestive biscuits

OK back to Chocolate Tiffin

Makes a tray of them


You will need


225g Digestive Biscuits
100g Block of Margarine or Butter (I used Butter)
3 level tbsp Golden Syrup
25g Drinking Chocolate (Cocoa Powder to my USA chums)


Chocolate Tiffin ingredients


Optional
50g glazed Cherries
50g raisins
(you can also add nuts, coconut, dried fruit etc - I opted to stick with no optional extras as its how I remember it)


Topping
200g Chocolate
chocolate



  • Lightly grease small baking tray or similar, I used a lasagne dish !!!

  • Put biscuits in a plastic food bag and hit with a wooden rolling pin until biscuits are crushed (Sir Scoffs-A-Lot's favourite part, he was my assistant chef today)
crushing the digestives
crushed digestives

  • Melt Butter and Syrup together in a pan over heat, set aside to cool slightly
butter and syrup

blended butter and syrup

  • In a large bowl, add crushed biscuits, Butter and syrup mixture and drinking chocolate or Cocoa Powder and any optional items. Mix well
biscuit mix

  • Place in tray and press down well, put in fridge to cool
pressed into dish

  • For the topping, melt the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and pour over the biscuit mixture, spreading evenly, place back in fridge to cool
chocolate

Melted chocolate

  • Once cooled, cut into squares or rectangles
Chocolate Tiffin

Enjoy

This takes me back to my childhood, I loved this stuff and it was just as good as I remember

Hope you enjoy this one too

Angela

















7 comments:

  1. i love your covered cake plate i want one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too, its 3 in one, a covered cake plate, uncovered cake plate, then turn the dome upside down and the stand uspide down and it turns into a punch/trifle bowl

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. Would you link them in to Food on Friday: Chocolate? Have a great week.

    PS you mentioned you were following Carole's Chatter - under what name? I couldn't find you in the GFC list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I found this recipe online - I'm Scottish, live in Thailand and don't have an oven (standard out here) but needed to produce something for a "nations day" celebration at my local hash (running) club. Your simple recipe turned out well, although I couldn't get syrup so used honey instead. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I have been Googling this very recipe having riflled through all my old childhood recipe books. This was a family favourite in our Glasweigan household and now delighted to be able to make it again with my 12 year old daughter. I'll have mine with a cup of tea but she might be looking to have hers with a glass of Irn Bru.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is known as “Mrs Campbell’s Cake “ in my family. And glazed cherries must never ever be added ��

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...