Saturday, May 19, 2012

Scottish Recipes - Mum's Rhubarb Tart

Spring is here.....

This wonderful spring/summer recipe is my Mum's

So I am calling this post "Mum's Rhubarb Tart"

Rhubarb Tart

My Mum used to make this delicious tart when my Sister and I were small. Back then, between the ages of 5-12, it wasn't my favourite thing, I liked little angel cakes better, of course.  I am sure it was in my Dad's top 10 favourite things for my mum to make though and still is to this day

Now as I have matured and discovered the finer things in life, ha ha, can we call Rhubarb "finer"? I think here in Texas we can. Well anyway, now that I have grown I love her Rhubarb Tart

Scottish Rhubarb Tart

Rhubarb is a funny thing. Anyone who is Scottish or indeed British knows Rhubarb very well. We all grew up on the stuff as kids. Ask any Scot, and they will probably tell you they got a raw stalk of rhubarb and a bag of sugar as a treat as a kid. You dipped the end of the rhubarb into the sugar and sooked, it was tricky to bite, as all those pesky fibres got stuck in your teeth, but that didn't stop us. Almost everyone had Rhubarb growing in their garden or knew someone who did. As kids we didn't actually have a garden until we moved to Dunfermline when I was around 7 years old, but My Gran and Grandad had it in their garden and we would get Rhubarb there too, yum.

Rhubarb in my Father-in-law's allotment in Scotland

My mum and dad also remember getting rhubarb and sugar as a treat when small too, I wonder if Scottish kids still get this even today? I am not sure, do they?

So Rhubarb isn't something grown here in Texas that I know of. So to make this I had to make a trip to my local supermarket, its not in every store but you can find it.

Look for stalks that are hard and crunchy not rubbery, and a nice deep red colour, with a stripe or two of green. Rhubarb tends to be sour when raw but add sugar and cook it and it becomes sweet. It is delicious stewed....mmmm... more recipes with rhubarb to come I think.....

My Mum made us this on her last visit to Texas last year, Mr Tartan Tastes loved it. I think she nearly passed out at the price of it here, its a rare luxury produce item.

So I have been on the phone this week, from Texas, to Scotland, speaking to my Mum just getting the finer details for making this family recipe. I have seen my Mum make this many times in my life but this is a first for me, I am making this myself, wish me luck, I hope its just half as good as my Mum's

Makes one plate sized pie


You will need


3 large stalks of Rhubarb
14oz Self raising flour
6oz Butter
Cold water
pinch of salt


Sugar and flour to sprinkle
Milk or egg to glaze




  • Wash and chop Rhubarb (leave to the side)
Rhubarb

Chopped Rhubarb

  • Make shortcrust pastry, this pastry uses Self raising flour to make a more thicker, rich pastry

  • Sieve flour and salt into a large bowl, add sliced cold butter to the flour and rub in using cold hands (to get cold hands run your wrists under cold water for a few minutes)
Flour and butter = Breadcrumbs 

  • Once mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add cold water a bit at a time until a stiff but still dry pastry is made, don't over work the pastry

  • separate pastry into two, on a floured surface roll out first pastry, until size of your plate
Two pastry sections

  • Grease your plate and sprinkle flour on it, shaking off the excess

  • Lay the first pastry on the plate, cut the rough edges away
Rolled onto a plate

  • Place the cut rhubarb on the pastry covered plate and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of flour to thicken the juices whilst cooking
add the Rhubarb

Sprinkle with sugar and flour

  • Roll out the second batch of pastry and place on top, cutting excess pastry from edges

  • Make a little hole in the center and flatten the edges with your thumb, I also made some decorations from left over pastry
Pastry decoration

  • Brush with milk or egg and sprinkle with sugar
Tart ready for the oven

  • Place in oven at 375F for 18 minutes or until golden on top

  • Leave to cool completely before cutting into slices
Rhubarb Tart, hot from the oven




Serve hot with ice cream, cream or custard

Serve cold by the slice

Rhubarb Tart

Thanks Mum

We love your Rhubarb Tart


Angela


Linking to Serenity Now : homestoriesatoz : sugarbeecrafts

4 comments:

  1. We've been talking about rhubarb all week. It's really common up here. Now I know what to do with it!

    And my dad says he got rhubarb and sugar as a kid too. Maybe his Scottish Great-grandparents handed down the tradition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Ive been looking into growing it here in Texas, wish i had asked you to grab me a few off shoots. Also love that your Dad enjoyed raw stalk dipped in sugar, amazing. Peg, I have a few other rhubarb recipes up my sleeve

      Delete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...