Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Scottish Recipes - Mince and Tatties

Mince and Potatoes

Mince and Mash

or as most Scots say Mince and Tatties

Mince and Tatties

Every kid in Scotland gets this for dinner at some point during his/her childhood

I remember watching Dr. Who and eating this on the couch, its crazy to think that my mum actually allowed my sister and I to eat dinner in front of the TV, I think it only happened a few times a year, but somehow I remember this dinner and watching Dr. Who

I used to mix it up the mince and the tatties, and then flatten it out across my plate and make grooves in it with my fork like a ploughed field then eat it, a little section of the field, at a time. My dad used to do the same thing, I'm sure he must have showed me this Mince and Tatties eating technique but I don't recall, I just know I do this and so does he

Adding ketchup to your mixed up mince and tatties always made it pink, did anyone else do that?

I always add good old brown sauce to my mince these days

yum

OK, now the reminiscing is over lets get down to making this staple in Scots households

So this recipe is how my mum made it and she passed it to me, others make it differently using a beef stock cube but this is how its made in our house

you will need


To make the Mince
1lb Mince (Ground beef in USA) - I prefer lean beef, but any is good
Bisto Beef granules or powder
1 Onion


To make the Tatties
Potatoes
Milk 
Butter
wee bit salt and pepper


Potatoes

Mince (Ground beef)

Bisto


Put Ground beef (Mince) into a large pot and Brown the beef


Cover browned beef with cold water and bring to boil


Browned Mince covered in water


Lower temp. and simmer for 30 minutes


I sometimes add a whole onion in there while simmering to add flavour and later share the cooked onion amongst the plates


Add Bisto according to box after 30 minutes of cooking time (I used 2 tbsp of Bisto Beef granules)


Meanwhile peel and chop potatoes and boil in a large pot until tender


Potatoes boiling

Add desired milk and butter to tastes, along with some salt and pepper and mash until no lumps


Serve Mince and Tatties (Mash) along with vegetables of choice, maybe some cooked carrots or peas

Delicious

My mother in law also adds chopped turnip to her mince, it adds great flavour and is a nice alternative

We had this Mince and Tatties dinner at her house on our last visit to Scotland, we had fresh shelled peas and freshly picked beans from the In Laws allotment, canny beat it

Mince and Tatties

Sir Scoffs-A-Lot picking peas in Scotland

So we are having Mince and Tatties for dinner tonight

Now where did I put that Dr. Who DVD?



Angela







7 comments:

  1. I still have mine pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, like to just do the mash with ketcup to make pink mash too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother, who was born and raised in Edinburgh, made Mince & Tatties at least twice a week. I absolutely loathed the dish and doctored it with copious amounts either ketchup or HP.
    During in my most recent trip to Scotland, I ordered it in a pub as a tribute to my mother. It was delicious. I'm left wondering if I was an unappreciative "wee besum" or did my tastes change that drastically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny, we made a similar recipe while I was growing up but we just called it 'hamburger and beef gravy over mashed potatoes' - never had it with ketchup though (still make it frequently but after 40 plus years the family isn't keen anymore)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with
    us so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and outstanding
    design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog?
    My website is in the very same niche as yours and my users would really benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, big and small, so go on, leave me some, you know you want to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...